The Food Truck Rumble is back again this Sunday at the Perth Cultural Centre with some of the best foodie delights on the food truck circuit.
We asked Perth Food Truck Rumble’s founder, Ai-Ling some of the lowdown and what to expect at the Rumble this year as well as some dishes you must check out.
- What inspired you to create this huge unique event?
What inspired me to organize Food Truck Rumble is a love of food and interest in events, and I wanted to create a food festival that I wanted to go to. Food Truck Rumble is more than just a food truck festival and includes a breakdancing competition, live local music stage, a pop-up bar, and local DJs because I think it’s important to provide people with a vibrant experience where they get to enjoy more than just one thing.
- What are your top tips to tackle the lines at the Food Truck Rumble this year?
Sharing is Caring 🙂 Get together a posse, grab a program booklet which contains all the food truck menus, queue up at different food trucks and then regroup later to share the bounty!
- What do you think is the greatest experience for hosting the Food Truck Rumble event?
It’s incredible to see so many people come to the event and expose them to new things.
- What makes you decide which food truck is best suited for your event?
I have an expression of interest registration form which I received submissions from over 80 food trucks. Then I go through each submission and curate the lineup to just 30 food trucks. I like to have a mix of food trucks serving different cuisines as well as having a combination of established and new food trucks. This year for the very first time, each food truck had to serve up a special Rumble dish at the event – so the quality and uniqueness of this dish was also a deciding factor.
- What has been your top favorite food truck ever?
Too hard to choose as I have eaten at so many!
- What do you see in Food Truck Rumbles future?
At the moment I am focused on the current event happening this Sunday. For chefs, they often say that you should plate up each dish like it could be your last. For me, I want to present each Food Truck Rumble like it could be my last and do the best that I can. If I survive, then I will think about the future.
- What are some dishes people should look forward to at this year’s Food Truck Rumble this year?
There are so many amazing special Rumble dishes on offer such as:
- “Cluck Rumble” from Bombay Knights Street Food – battered chicken pieces, caramelized onion, coriander chutney, rolled in Indian flatbread.
- Kona Joes Health Shack is doing gluten-free (!) warm waffle bowls filled with a cocoa whip, there are even a peanut butter and jelly waffle bowl option!
- Meast are serving up knafeh (traditional Jordanian dessert) which have sweetened white cheeses topped with shredded pastry, sugar syrup, and crushed pistachios
- “Steak n Frites” will be on the menu at The Melt Hub – imagine steak, garlic fries, caramelized onion, provolone cheese, truffle mayo on a toasted baguette!
At the Food Truck Rumble launch event with Daniele from @dinewithdaniele
Check out all the details of the Perth Food Truck Rumble here